Restaurant Fire Protection: Fire suppression system installation and safety tipsBlog,
Faulty heating equipment, electrical and lighting malfunctions, cooking equipment accidents are among the leading causes of restaurant fires. There are numerous fire hazards in a commercial kitchen that may put a restaurant in jeopardy. Therefore, restaurant owners must ensure the safety of all occupants. Commercial kitchens need to be equipped with specific fire protection equipment to ensure fire safety. Proper installation of a fire suppression system and following a strict safety code is a must for any restaurant establishment. William Hird & Co. specializes in the installation of various fire safety devices to protect your commercial building. We install all the necessary equipment for your restaurant’s safety and also perform regular inspections, maintenance, repairs, and replacements as required.
Restaurant fire suppression system installation
As restaurant kitchens are the most prone area for fire accidents, it is essential to install a fire suppression system that meets your restaurant’s fire safety requirements and minimizes fire threat. The type of fire protection system used in a restaurant kitchen depends on various factors.
The fire protection system should be chosen with the following essential priorities in mind:
- Personnel safety: It is imperative to ensure proper measures are taken for the safety of all occupants. Ensure proper fire escape, emergency lighting, and fire alarm are operational at all times so that, in case of an emergency, everyone will be able to make a timely escape.
- Minimizing the damages: Having a proper sprinkler or foam-based suppression system can be highly efficient in stabilizing the situation by suppressing the fire and minimizing property damages. It is crucial to choose the right kind of fire suppression system to keep the fire from getting out of control.
- Backup extinguishers: It is best to consider installing the right kind of fire extinguishers on every floor and ensure easy access. So, if there is a fire, and the fire system does not activate or fails to respond, anyone can easily use the fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire quickly and prevent it from spreading.
Our experts at William Hird & Co. are licensed and well-experienced in designing a customized fire protection plan for all kinds of commercial kitchens. However, only installing a fire protection system is not enough. It is highly recommended to follow the proper fire safety codes in the kitchen as well.
Fire safety tips for restaurants
- Make sure the ovens, grilling surfaces, and kitchen hoods are all cleaned regularly.
- Ensure all your employees follow personal safety guidelines such as rolling up long sleeves, wearing aprons and tying long hair in a hairnet, etc.
- Make sure no cooking station is left unattended while cooking.
- Make sure the emergency exit routes are always clear for safe evacuation during an emergency.
- You should also give proper training to your staff regarding safety techniques and how to manually activate the fire protection system.
- Ensure Class K fire extinguishers are placed near the cooking stations to quickly put out any small accidental fires.
Whether you need fire sprinkler systems, commercial kitchen fire suppression systems, portable fire extinguishers, emergency exit lighting, or any other fire safety equipment, William Hird & Co. is equipped to handle all your fire safety requirements. Feel free to get in touch with our licensed professionals for expert assistance.