How to safely use fire extinguishers and when to call the professionals?Blog,
Fire extinguishers are useful devices that can save lives in an emergency fire situation. Fire extinguishers are very effective in controlling small fires. When there is a big fire, it is best to prioritize your safety and evacuate. Whether you own a commercial or residential property, fire extinguishers are mandatory as per state and local fire safety guidelines. But just installing fire extinguishers is not enough. State and local authorities generally require regular fire safety equipment maintenance to ensure everything is up to code.
Negligence of fire extinguisher maintenance can lead to a disaster in an emergency fire situation. To avoid future unfortunate events, you should ensure everyone knows how to use fire extinguishers safely and when to call a professional fire extinguisher service company. William Hird & Co. has been providing reliable and quality fire extinguisher maintenance services in New York for years. So if you ever need fire extinguisher services, repair maintenance, or need to book a regular inspection by licensed professionals, we are your go-to company.
Here are some crucial tips to safely use fire extinguishers:
- When you see a small fire, immediately access the fire extinguisher and try to contain that fire to a small area before it can spread around the property.
- Before using the fire extinguisher, make sure that you are within the available radius of an immediate exit. Try to keep the door on your back, so if things go sideways, you will be easily able to escape.
- When using the fire extinguisher, remember the codeword PASS:
- P – Pull the pin, hold the extinguisher’s nozzle, and release the lock pin.
- A – Aim the nozzle of the fire extinguisher towards the base of the fire.
- S – Squeeze the lever when you are ready. Make sure to squeeze the lever slowly and steadily.
- S – Sweep the nozzle side to side to ensure the fire does not spread further.
- If you cannot control the fire and the room is filling with smoke, you should leave the room and ensure everyone is evacuating the building. Inhaling too much smoke can put your life at risk; therefore, you should prioritize your safety and evacuate when you feel the fire cannot be controlled.
- Ensure that the fire department has been called.
- A damaged fire extinguisher pin or nozzle etc., can put your life at risk. Therefore, never forget to schedule regular fire extinguishers inspection services from reliable, licensed professionals. A licensed professional will promptly inspect all the fire extinguishers’ parts and ensure that they are in operating condition and ready for any emergency.
- Make sure to book monthly and annual inspections for fire alarms, fire sprinklers, and extinguishers by a licensed professional. And ensure to replenish the extinguisher after it has been used.
It is essential to call a fire extinguisher service company when you need monthly and annual regular inspections. William Hird & Co. has been providing support, maintenance, and inspection services for Fire Extinguishers in NYC for many years. Our technicians are certified and here to help you. So, if you need fire extinguisher services in New York City, do not hesitate to reach out to us at (718)499-4881 to book an inspection.