A Comprehensive Guide To Choosing The Right Fire ExtinguisherBlog,
We are all considerate about the safety and protection of our loved ones. We try to give them the best amenities and always wish for their good health. But most of us often ignore the importance of installing a fire extinguisher in our homes and offices until the situation calls for it.
Fire extinguisher is a small but an important part of any home or commercial building safety plan. This compact or portable device can help in saving lives and property by extinguishing a fire or preventing it from spreading until the fire department arrives.
As per the statistics released by the National Fire Protection Association (NPFA), a total 3,58,500 home fire accidents occured between 2011-2015. These fire mishaps resulted in approximately 2,510 human deaths. Around 12,300 civilians were injured as a result of fire accidents, and property damage accounted for $6.7 Billion.
Don’t these statistics horrify you? If they don’t, they should.
Accidents happen when we least expect them. And thus it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Installing a fire extinguisher is the first step that you can take to enhance the safety of your loved ones. It serves as the first line of defense to curb any fire mishaps. Taking this small step will help you take a quick action whenever a fire accident occurs.
Moreover, installing the right type of fire extinguisher in your home or commercial building gives you the peace of mind. In order to get the right fire extinguisher installed on your property, you can get in touch with a fire extinguisher service company in New York.
How does a fire extinguisher work?
Fire, when exposed to various chemicals such as gas and direct electricity, can produce uncontrollable flames and excessive smoke. Fire ignites with the help of three supporting elements, namely: Heat, oxygen, and fuel.
A fire extinguisher is designed to curb flames ignited due to the above mentioned elements. The fire extinguisher helps in cooling down the fuel source, cutting the oxygen supply and separating it from the fuel. This ultimately prevents the chemical reaction from taking place.
What are the different types of fire extinguishers?
Below is a list of different types of fire extinguishers based on the uses.
- Air-pressure water extinguishers for Class A fires: These fire extinguishers are easily available on the market. These are very cost-effective. Water is the most commonly used element for putting off Class A fires. The air pressure extinguishers are generally silver in color. Various variants of this fire extinguisher are foam based. This means that they are infused with detergent to form water foam and put out the fire.
- CO2 extinguishers for Class B and C fires: If the source of fire breakout is highly flammable, water alone is not enough to put it out. In such an event, you might have to make use of a CO2 extinguisher. This is ideal for fires of Class B and C type. A displacement reaction takes place between Oxygen and CO2, hence bringing the temperature down.
- Multipurpose fire extinguisher for Class A, B, and C fires:
- Multipurpose fire extinguishers help in putting out fires falling into Classes A, B, and C. These fire extinguishers are infused with dry chemicals that cool down the fire source and prevent the situation from worsening. The fire gets coated with a retardant powder which cuts off the contact of fire with Oxygen. The chemical reaction get disrupted, curbing the fire from spreading. These extinguishers are generally red in color.
- Wet and Dry chemical extinguishers for Class K fires: The wet and dry chemical extinguishers are mostly used in commercial kitchens. The temperature inside the kitchens is extremely soaring because of the heat produced from the cooking oils. These fire extinguishers contain potassium bicarbonate, making it a perfect choice for Class K fires.
Now that you are aware of the different classes of fire extinguishers, we hope you’ll be able to select the right one for your residential or commercial property. Get in touch with a fire extinguisher service company in New York to have a fire extinguisher installed on your property.
Who are we?
We, at William Hird & Co, Inc. are committed to providing the best fire protection equipment. We understand that the safety of your loved ones is your top priority. Hence, our top priority is to keep you satisfied with our comprehensive fire protection services.
Come join our team and become a part of our list of satisfied, long term, and loyal customers.